Sunday, October 4, 2009

Astronomy 101

Have you ever found yourself staring up at the sky in a state of pure wonder, just thinking about the origins of the universe and how EXACTLY we came to be? I have, many times with friends or on my own. The universe is a complex, vast, yet purely inspiring thing to gaze upon. Though I am a MIT student, it is required of me to take a science course, so this year I am finally getting it over with. Guess what I chose, Astronomy 101. Nothing makes sense to me, because my mind works in a different way, but I can tell you there have been some cool facts I have picked up over the past month.

That super bright dot in the sky that seemingly appears first before all the rest of the stars, is not the north star, it is Jupiter! Next time you are under the night sky, look up and you will see it shining brighter than the rest of the dots in the sky. I know some people like to believe things like this are UFOs but, science says no!

Also, if you have never thought of visiting the Cronyn Observatory on UWO's campus, I suggest you do it. Free of charge and worth the wait, you can go up and look at our galaxy, up close and personal! Be prepared to me amazed, but remember star gazing requires clear skies and nice weather, so take advantage of this opportunity soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment