Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What's that Smell?


I was at work the other day and considering that I work in a cafe, it is inevitable that I am going to encounter numerous people throughout my shift. Most of the customers are regulars who I have come to know (to a certain extent) and since I serve the same people every day, I have come to notice certain features about these people, mainly their SMELL.

Do not worry, the aromas that seep into the air from my regulars are not of a bad odor. However, there is ONE man who buys a small coffee every morning who wears Hugo Boss cologne. Now, you might be wondering how I know what brand of cologne he is wearing and I have an answer to that. I am VERY familiar with this smell because my ex-boyfriend from high school wore it. This particular fragrance TO ME is absolutely delicious. I would make him wear it when ever I was around. So, when this man comes in to buy his coffee, the world in my mind stops and all I can do is linger and ponder the time when I was acquainted with Hugo Boss cologne.

The fact that this smell has the power to take me back in time five years has caused me to research the relationship between smell and the psyche. My curiosity towards this lead me to the website www.askmen.com where I discovered why certain aromas trigger different emotions and bodily reactions.

Apparently a certain smell has the capability to affect emotions, moods, mate choice and more. The scents that are noses pick up send a signal to both the complex and primitive parts of our brains. Studies have proven that being exposed to different smells compels brain activity and physical activity to shift. Now, being a girl makes my daily run in with the Hugo Boss cologne wearing, coffee drinking man even worse because women have a stronger sense of smell than men. The last thing I want is to be reminiscing about boyfriends past, while my coffee pot overflows, but science says I can not avoid it. Research suggests that 75% of the emotions we feel on a daily basis are a reaction to the smells we are exposed to!

No comments:

Post a Comment