Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star!


Picture provided by google images

Twinkle, Twinkle little star, how I KNOW what you are!

Have you ever wondered what a star really is? or why it twinkles like it does?

As a kid, I liked to believe that a star is something more magical than a bright ball of gas. Now I don't have to wonder, thanks to my astronomy textbook.

Basically, like water in a swimming pool bending light (hence why looking out to the sky from unerneath water is trippy) Earth's atmosphere bends the light from the stars, making it appear to twinkle. Stars tend to twinkle more on windy nights, do you think whoever made the song happened to be pondering up at the vast night sky?





1 comment:

  1. I guess it's true when they say you learn a new thing everyday. I should have taken astronomy, it seems like an interesting course. I thought it was the chemicals in the stars that made them shine, but now I know it's just the way the light it bent. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete